Using Recurring Billing with Subscriptions and Listings
A common question we are asked is how to setup subscriptions and listings with recurring billing. This article describes common setups for these items.
Recurring Billing and Subscriptions
A subscription pricing plan is typically used to support customers that will be creating multiple listings and serves as a pricing option for this type of bulk purchaser. It is common for these types of customers to want to pay on a monthly or quarterly basis. Example: Let's go thru this by setting up a 1 year job posting subscription that a customer will pay for on a monthly basis.
Here is what that entry will look like:
When a customer purchases this subscription they will pay $99 every month for 12 months. The subscription will last for 12 months total (subscription duration). Any job posting run using this subscription will run for 1 month (the listing duration). Up to 10 job postings may be running at any time during the subscription duration.
- Setting the subscription duration to 1 month. You want the subscription duration to equal the total amount of time the customer is being charged.
- Setting the listing duration longer than the subscription duration.
- Create a subscription for 1 listing - a subscription is intended for multiple listings. You can use recurring billing on individual listings (see next paragraph).
Recurring Billing and Individual Listings
Recurring billing can also be used for a customer that is purchasing a single listing. It is often attractive to your customer to be able to pay for a service over time rather than all up front.
Here is what a sample entry like this will look like:
When a customer purchases this 1 listing they will pay $49 three times over 90 days. The listing will run for 90 days (the listing duration).
- Setting the listing duration longer than the amount of time (90 days) the customer is paying for the listing.
- Charging the customer longer than the listing duration. While you might think this is a way to allow the customer more time to pay, it is also an incentive for them to cancel a service they are no longer receiving because their associated listing has expired.
Special Note about Recurring Billing
Only select payment processors/gateways support recurring billing in MarketGrabber. If you want to use recurring billing you need to use Stripe, Authorize.net or PayPal Website Payments Standard (excludes Pay Flow Pro and Payments Pro) as your payment processor.