Stripe Support - Setup with MarketGrabber
This article provides basic setup information to use the Stripe payment platform with your MarketGrabber site.
Getting a Stripe Account
- Go to https://stripe.com
to get a Stripe account. When you setup your Stripe account you will be asked what currency you will be using. This will be a value such as "usd" for US dollars, "cad" for Canadian dollars, etc. This will need to be entered in your MarketGrabber site.
Contact Stripe sales/support for any assistance in setting up your Stripe account.
Please be aware of the following regarding Stripe accounts:
- SSL is required - In order to use Stripe LIVE with your site, you must have an SSL certificate installed on your website.
- Domain Name Live - In order to use Stripe LIVE with your site, your domain name must be live. You can use Stripe in TEST mode if your domain name is not live.
- Do not Share Stripe Accounts - Each website should have its own Stripe account. Sharing a single Stripe account across 2 or more websites is not supported.
If you already have an existing Stripe account that you are using on a different website, you can easily create a new Stripe account after logging into your existing Stripe account.
See https://stripe.com/docs/payments/account/multiple-accounts for details
The benefits of this approach include:
- A new account can be in test mode while an existing account stays in live mode.
- Statement descriptors that your customer's see are unique to each site, reducing the potential for chargebacks.
- Payments for each site are automatically applied to the site where they originated.
- Reporting is easily segmented by account.
- Overall it is just easier to associate a different Stripe account with each website you operate.
- Bank deposits - with a separate Stripe account you can have deposits sent to a different back account, and you also have the option to deposit money into your original bank account.
Login to Stripe Dashboard
- After you have your Stripe account setup, login to your Stripe account to access the Stripe dashboard. Note: if you are using multiple Stripe accounts, use the dropdown at the top left of the Stripe dashboard to choose which site you are working with. In the illustration below, clicking on ChannelH.com shows a list of the accounts you have access to and may switch to.
Stripe TEST Mode - A new Stripe account will start in TEST mode. In TEST mode you can run transactions in your site using test card numbers and no live transactions will occur, but you can see in detail how your site and Stripe work together.
Stripe API Keys in TEST Mode - If you are going to use Stripe in TEST mode, you will need to copy your Stripe TEST API keys from the dashboard:
Your Stripe TEST API keys will need to be entered into your MarketGrabber site.
Setup Stripe in TEST MODE in Your MarketGrabber Site - login to the back office of your MarketGrabber website and then go to Settings:
Click on Site Wide Settings and then click on Payment Processing. Set Stripe as the current gateway and press Setup Gateway:
The Stripe Payment Settings will appear:
Press the Make Changes button.
Enter your Stripe Publishable Key and Stripe Secret key
. If your currency is not usd (US dollars) enter the 3 character currency code assigned by Stripe when you setup your account. You can set the text that will appear on the Payment button that shows to your customers. Zero decimal currencies - this should be set to No for 95% of the worlds currencies. Notable exceptions are Japan and South Korea. If you are uncertain if your currency is a zero decimal currency see Stripe Currencies for Details
or contact Stripe.
Press Save Changes to save your Stripe Payment settings in your MarketGrabber site.
Setup Stripe Webhook - at the bottom of the Stripe Payment Settings screen you will see a button labelled Setup/View Stripe Webhook.
The "webhook" is a process that is part of your MarketGrabber website. Stripe communicates with the webhook process to send important notices to your site. E.g. a successful payment has been made in Stripe. This is how your website knows a customer has paid for your website's services.
Press Setup/View Stripe Webhook - your MarketGrabber site will now connect to your Stripe account and automatically setup your webhook. After few seconds you will see results similar to the following:
The webhook id is assigned by Stripe. The description is automatically assigned using your current domain name (your live name or a temporary site address) prefixed with https:// if you are using SSL or http:// if SSL is not yet installed on your site. Status of enabled indicates the webhook is ready for use. Live mode of false indicates your Stripe account is in test mode while a status of true indicates your Stripe account is live. The enabled_events will show checkout.session.completed.
Note: If any errors are displayed, it is likely your Stripe API keys have not been copied and entered correctly into your settings. Go back to the step above titled Stripe API Keys in TEST Mode and redo those steps.
Testing Your Stripe Account - Test Credit Card Numbers
Use the following test card numbers as desired:
- Successful Payment Test - 4242 4242 4242 4242, enter 3-4 digit security code (any value) and an expiration month/year in the future
- Successful 3D Secure Payment Test - 4000 0000 0000 3220, enter 3-4 digit security code (any value) and an expiration month/year
- Failed Payment Test - 4000 0000 0000 9995, enter 3-4 digit security code (any value) and an expiration month/year. This will decline with "insufficient funds".
Activating Your Stripe Account - LIVE MODE - when you are ready to process live transactions with Stripe, Activate your Stripe Account:
Contact Stripe support/sales if you need assistance activating your Stripe Account.
Stripe API Keys in LIVE Mode - Once your Stripe account is activated by Stripe you are ready to use Stripe in LIVE mode, you will need to copy your Stripe LIVE API keys from the Stripe dashboard:
Setup Stripe in LIVE MODE in Your MarketGrabber Site
Follow the steps described above in "Setup Stripe in TEST MODE in Your MarketGrabber Site" substituting your TEST API keys with the LIVE API keys provided by Stripe.
Make sure your domain name is live and that you have SSL installed on your website.
After you have entered your LIVE API keys into MarketGrabber, you will need to reset the Stripe webhook for live use.
From the Stripe settings page in your MarketGrabber settings, press the button:
And your Stripe webhook will be reset to use your live site settings.
Congratulations! You are now ready to collect payments using your MarketGrabber site and Stripe!
For detailed instructions and online help use Stripe's support site which you can access from the top right of the Stripe Dashboard: